Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cynicism in Politics

Next post is going to be the meat of the counter to the comment discussion on promises, but I did want to say that there is a real difference in the nature of the cynicism from people. I am cynical about the behavior of the masses, not individuals. My cynicism regarding politics relates not so much to the politicians, but the nature of getting elected. What people will and won't vote for, how trigger words and phrases, no matter their truth or fairness, cause people to change their minds.

I think that the utility of dishonesty in politics attracts dishonest politicians. It also means that it is impractical for an honest person running for office to succeed without employing distorting rhetoric. I think Obama is the most thoughtful and competent president we have had in my lifetime and then some, but due to the nature of campaigning he had no choice but to engage in less than fully honest statements, particularly on taxes. I see that as a system and mob mentality failure, not as a failure of the specific person elected. I actually feel the same way about Bush. He is who he is, and while I did not like him, I did not see his presidency as a failure of him or his policies, but of the voters.

So yes, I would rather have a dishonest president who does the best thing for the nation than an honest one who does not...and I am aware that the "best thing for the nation" is up for serious debate. Honesty in politics is rare because it tends to preclude good politicians from getting elected, and bad politicians have no problem with lying.

No comments: