Monday, May 06, 2013

Genetically Modified Organisms

I'm pretty sure that the GMO dividing line is a wider gap than the one separating sides on gun regulation.  It is simply astounding to me how visceral and emotional people get about genetically modified foods.

I'm a scientist, and have no fundamental objection to GMOs.  Theoretically they could be used to minimize the environmental impact of farming, while also reducing hunger.  What's not to like?  ...Well, plenty, but almost all of it has to do with the fact that genetic modifications are being researched on a "for profit" rather than a "for public good" basis.

I was excited, therefore to see this Nature special on GM Crops, and encourage anyone who has not to read through.  There isn't as much info in there as I would have liked, but it is very readable for non-scientists. 

No comments: