Thursday, February 18, 2016

Yes, They Should All Be Available...

...Probably to everyone but definitely to researchers.  It actually does impede scientific progress for relevant research to be hidden behind paywalls.  Sure, some people/groups can afford to pay, but not all.  I'd add that there is so much research out there that may seem relevant when looking at title/abstract but if you read the actual paper you find that the details are not actually relevant at all (this may or may not be due to a poor abstract).  

Yes, in most cases you can contact an author and get access (not always...I don't have ready access to all my publications; I can get them, but it would take some effort...'course I'm not the PI), but that doesn't always help, and even if it does it dramatically increases the amount of time it's going to take to get all the relevant publications.  I hope her site stays up and that more research becomes available through it. 

No comments: