Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Happy New Year

I am one of the ~60% of adult Americans who did not make a New Year's resolution. It isn't because I count on failing (as most do) or because I think they are wrong headed, but because I don't feel as though I need the motivation of a resolution to try and improve myself.

Like everyone else on the planet, I am a flawed human being. There are faults I know of and those I don't, those I want to improve and those I really don't see as worth fretting over. The category of faults that I know of and that I want to improve upon is the one that typical resolutions fall under. But resolutions are a temporary thing, and life is daily, weekly, yearly. Nothing that I would resolve to do for a new year is anything that I wouldn't (and don't) resolve to do every day: treat others with courtesy and respect, broaden my knowledge and understanding of the world and the people in it, be healthy with respect to what I eat and activities, and keep a positive outlook and have fun.

Those are things I try and do every year, every month, every week, every day. I don't always succeed. Sometimes I am exhausted physically and mentally and end up eating a bag of chips and half a pizza for dinner rather than cook. Sometimes I get angrily frustrated with our representative government and expend energy labeling the majority of the populous idiots. Sometimes I get despondent about relationships (or lack thereof) and question my choices in life.

Mostly, though, I do fine. I do what I should, and I have far less to complain about than a large number of people in this country and in the world at large.

No comments: