Thursday, December 20, 2012

This is Tricky

So if a [chain] restaurant messes with tips in such a way as to pay more people the $2.13 minimum for tipped staff, it is evil and wrong, but if a coop does it, that's just fine and they are good?!?

It seems to me that they could just pay all staff minimum wage, still accept tips and then split those up (along with some other profit share).  I mean, it isn't illegal for a (full) minimum wage employee to also get tips.  Just look at coffee shops, or Oregon/California/anywhere else where the state has mandated everyone gets at least the state minimum wage.  Is it illegal for them to pool the tips and divide it among all if they are not using that as a loophole to pay employees less? 

I'm sure that there is more to the laws than that of which I am aware, but it seems to me that there is a simple solution here, and no-one should be bitching/cheering for low paid employees.

No comments: