Saturday, September 12, 2009

Wal-Mart: Evil?

I don't much care for Wal-Mart. This article doesn't help. My general sense has been that Sam Walton and his surviving family are greed personified. I know that every person is somewhat selfish and greedy, but the extent to which they demonstrate those traits is reprehensible.

Only point I want to make about the article: the comparison to GM is false. While GM employees are generally non-professionals, many are still skilled workers. Wal-Mart workers are both non-professional and unskilled, so with no significant training and no education required anyone can work there. It's hard to unionize when anyone can be hired to replace any given worker. Anyone. Still, I think that Wal-Mart should be unionized. I generally feel that any company with a large workforce (say >1000 employees)--particularly if that workforce is predominantly non-professionals--should be unionized.

No comments: