Sunday, January 30, 2011

Two Spaces vs. One

I'll admit that I tend to add two spaces after a period at the end of a sentence. I even go back and correct docs to add them. I am perfectly willing to admit that the practice is wrong. (I noticed that blogger's editor automatically removes them when posting). I probably will not stop doing it, however.

Mostly I'll continue because I do it pretty much automatically after typing the little dot, but also because I find it easier to read what I have written...particularly when I am reviewing/editing. Maybe it doesn't read any better to someone who is not reading for grammar/punctuation/flow, but when I read back over what I have written, I am reading to make sure that sentences stand on their own properly, and that they neither go on too long nor end too. Having an extra space helps that a little.

Of course, if I ever wrote something that I actually anticipated another person reading, I may prefer that it be edited properly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!.