Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Uh Oh...

I promised myself I wouldn't do it--at least not until October--but I am starting to get hopeful about the prospects for the November elections. I do not know why. There is quite a bit of stirring, and all of it is anti-Republican, but there are still six and a half months. Too much time. I know that I posted talking about running as an independent and said that I feel the Democratic party has some issues I do not like, but that doesn't change the fact that a Democratic congress would tip the political powers back into (more of a) balance. The country would still be out of wack, and it will take another imbalance of power (Democrats controling at least the legislative and executive branches) to get things somewhat straightened out.

"Balance of Power" is a great term that loses most of it's meaning in a two party system. There are three branches of government, and two parties. One party will always dominate/control at least two of those three branches--yes, I realize that the legislative could be split, but swings that change one change the other and I don't really care anyway. Of course the Supreme Court has been, historically, a bastion of neutrality. There are justices people don't like, justices people feel bring too much of their own opinions to the court, but the court has, by and large, made intelligent, sensible decisions. The real problem lies when the other two brances of government are controlled by the same party (like for the past 5+ years). If congress does its job properly, this is still not an issue, but when they roll over and cede decisions to the executive branch, then we become a nation at the whim of one man (or woman, though not yet). We become a monarchy. The idea of having a Democratic congress once again is an uplifting one. While they will not be able to undo the problems that have been inflicted upon us, they will be able to open investigations and hold hearings and stop the law breaking by the executive branch of government (provided Liberman doesn't have a say).

When reality snaps back and the Dems do not take congress back (they are not doing enough now, maybe they will be in four months, but...) then I will be full of anguish and hatred all over again. Why can't government be responsible? Why must they be divided and bickering and utterly useless to keep us from harm?

No comments: