Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Jobs and the American Dream

It has always been seemingly clear that there are plenty of jobs available in this country but people are seldom willing to compromise and take them. Retail, sanitation, manual labor (especially roofing/painting/non-skilled construction) are jobs that many feel are beneath them. Even people without some higher education.

I remember in high school being somewhat reluctant to admit that I was working at a McDonald's, but was very quick to tell about my job at Black Eyed Pea (which may have gone under since). There is no good reason for this...well maybe the fact that McD's paid minimum wage ($5.65 at the time), but I managed over $10/hr with tips at the Pea. And that is the crux of the matter. Money. Money makes the unseemly more workable. Many (most?) women would never consider stripping, but when those that do can take in $100-$1000 per hour it kind of makes me jealous. Sanitation workers (garbagemen...and women) may have a rather disgusting, smelly job, but if they are taking home $70k+ per year with full benefits working no more than 40 hrs/week, well, why not? One of the problems is that the American dream, which used to be that by working hard we can do better than our parents, has become a bit tarnished.

My parents were able to buy a house right out of college with one income and two children. For most people leaving college now, that is not possible. The cost of housing is prohibitive. Salaries have not increased at nearly the same rate as cost of living because of the housing issue. Debt has increased at all levels, but for those between 19 and 30 Debt is a more significant problem. There is no house to refinance to eliminate credit card debt. The cost of education and the resultant student loans are through the stratosphere. There is no forseeable way out in the near future. Many people, even capable, hard working individuals see things like the lottery and get rich quick schemes as real ways out. They are not, of course, but their success is an indication of how bad things really are. I want a house. I can not get one because of debt (mostly student loans). I cannot reduce my debt without a house.

I do see a way out...for me...in the next few years. That doesn't mean that I am any less frustrated right now. That doesn't mean others can see a way out for themselves. The government will not do what is necessary to help (increase grant money for students by at least ten-fold). The lottery jackpot is over $100 million again.....

No comments: