Friday, March 24, 2006

UPenn is Doing Good

Even though I don't really consider $50k a year "low income," this is pretty cool. You know, I would really like to work there.

On that note, if someone from the Penn chemistry department stumbles by here, my research work will be fundamentally electrochemical with focuses (focci?) on nanomaterials--particularly with regard to photochemical properties (ECL, photo-initiated heterogeneous electron transfer)--and biological analysis (e.g. cyclic voltammetric SECM). I believe that teaching less by lecture and more with interaction (within small student groups and between the students and instructors) produces better results and more capable thinkers. Certainly presentations/lectures will still be used, but as one component, rather than the only one. I do not think that homework should ever lower a grade. I do not have a problem with failing a student who performs poorly because I believe that, in college, it is the responsibility of the students to know if they are struggling. Letters of recommendation are available upon request.

Also, don't worry if I am elected to Congress, they work less than 100 days/year, and you could pay my (faculty) salary to the chemistry department, rather than to me...until I lose in the next election.

No comments: