Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Still not sure

I don't know what I think of this (seemingly) new notion about conservatives out-breeding liberals. I remember an Onion article several years ago about mouth-breathers out-breeding intellectuals 2:1, and thought it was pretty funny and pretty true. Looking at the world (through history) as a whole, the more develloped and educated a nation/group/community has become, the fewer children they have had. This has been viewed as a survival trait, a financial issue, an informed decision, an environmental issue, but I don't think any one of them fits too well. Mormons are often well educated and are quite prodigous procreators. Of course religous beliefs have a tendency to trump objective notions of good/bad, right/wrong, etc. People who are indoctrinated are wholly incapable of making a rational argument/decision that goes against their indoctrination. Anti-evolution chumps are proof of that. It is not that they can't understand, it is that they refuse to (either consciously, or subconsciously).

Really, though, this isn't new. It's not even really meaningful. From what I can tell, it's mostly a way for liberal guys to get laid. "We need to populate the left, baby, and my sperm is anti-Bush, G.W. Bush, that is." "I must impregnate my secretary, honey, the left is counting on me." "Single mothers vote Democrat, I shall make more." I should print bumper stickers.

No comments: